January 31, 2010

Having fun with a Wire Glass Melt!

If you could see me now... I have a very big smile on my face!
Took the plunge and decided to do my very first wire melt last night.
This process is melting glass at higher than normal fuse temperatures over stainless steel wire or rods (like I did) to create an awesome color design.
This is a great way to use up past failed experiments (and scraps) to create something beautiful.
Here's what I did:
 
I coated the inside of a 10" unglazed clay flowerpot base with 5 coats of kiln wash.  Topped that with several stainless steel rods (1/8").  Stacked scraps on top of that... colors I thought would look nice together so I chose blue, pink and white.  Wrote up a pot/wire melt schedule and ran that for a day.

And when I looked this morning, here's what I found:
 

I think it looks amazing!  I love how the colors turned out... I'll take a better picture when it's finished cooling... the lighting in my studio isn't the greatest.  There are small bubbles but I can fix that with a regular refiring.  :)
I did learn that any glass stuck to the metal rods will splinter and break off when they're cooling... it doesn't stick to anything or hurt the kiln so clean-up is a breeze.

No comments:

Post a Comment